This is my collection of crafts and artworks, some of which done by myself... some by other very talented people

Sunday 15 April 2012

Dress Diary Part 1 - Concept

This year I decided to be a bit more daring and well... I've actually decided to enter YWU's 2012-2013 costume competition. The themes this year really peeked my interest.

I decided that in light of the fact that I m attending a steampunk ball very soon that it would be a perfect opportunity to create something beautiful for that occasion. I already know what I'm going to do.

As I'm making two new outfits for the event this means that I will have two costumes to choose to enter. However I am pretty certain already of the one that I'm going to choose.

The colours and fabrics have been chosen so as to reflect upon my steampunk character. The design is inspired by 1860 ball gowns (I am attending a ball after all) with a slight twist.
The following is what have been considered in the design;
*Tightlace Corset with off shoulder piece
*Crinoline cage
*various layer skirt
*gloves
*neck corset
*hair pieces

Thus there will be some historical inaccuracies but this is to be expected in steampunk really. As to the corset, my normal corset sizes are either 16" or 14" but I may be making this 16"/18" at the request of my rather loving partner <3 we shall see how it pans out. I am starting to pattern the corset this week and picking the fabric.

I have my brand new mannequin coming this thursday, yay I can't wait to get started:)

No comments:

Post a Comment